Future Cars Menu
Specs on the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid
We’ve learned a little more about the forthcoming Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid, due out in 2010. They’ve gone with a parallel full hybrid drivetrain, which is no big surprise; it allows them to retain their reputation for high performance vehicles (in this case, acceleration) while still going green-ish.
Here’s what’s come out on the S Hybrid:
- Supercharged Audi 3.0-litre 333 hp V6 engine
- 52 hp three-phase electric motor
- 38-kW nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery
- Eight speed automatic transmission, top speed in sixth
- 0-to-100 km/h in 6.8 seconds
- Cruising speed in 8th gear on the motor only: 86 mph (140 km/h)
- 26 mpg (compared to the 19 mpg of the Cayenne S)
The move to hybrid won’t affect the original Cayenne much, if at all—the battery’s in the spare tire well, for example—which I think is kind of a shame, to me the Cayenne is one fugly car, an absolute embarrassment to the automaker.
This site follows the emergence, application and development of transportation innovation. Reference to manufacturers, makes and models, and other automotive-related businesses are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute an endorsement by FutureCars.com.